News, Outdoors
June 24, 2014

Integrated Advertising Campaign: LRXD Helps KOA Answer the Question, “What’s Behind the Yellow Sign?”

Ask and You Shall Find

If you’ve ever road-tripped across North America, you’ve definitely seen it. That bright yellow KOA sign. Problem is, you and many thousands of others have no idea what that sign and its three bold letters represent. We set out to explain “What’s Behind the Yellow Sign?” through a new brand campaign focused on RV owners.

Research told us that 6% of campers had previously camped at a KOA. That meant the other 94% of those perched behind the wheel of an RV or other cross-country vehicle need a reason to finally stop at that bright Yellow Sign. We not only needed to educate; we needed to seriously motivate. We had to show that KOA can deliver on why people go camping in the first place — to connect with each other and the outdoors in a unique way.

All the Moving Parts of the Campaign

The first and only national TV advertising from KOA in 52 years features a :30 commercial — along with a campaign landing page that handles the nuts and bolts of KOA’s amenities through three videos shot on the campgrounds with real campers and employees. While digital advertising, also included in the campaign, will appear broadly on websites including Discovery Network, and Facebook, the television campaign is directed at country music fans and will appear on the Great American Country Network in the United States and on Country Music Television in Canada.

After just a few weeks on air and across digital venues, reservations have already skyrocketed beyond what we had hoped for. Campers aren’t the only ones who want to know what’s going on behind that Yellow Sign. The New York Times came knocking wanting the story too. We’re flattered, and even more fortunate to have visionary client partners like KOA who understand the value of a big idea and the power of a truly integrated campaign. We look forward to helping this iconic brand continue to tell their amazing story.